The Shriver Center coordinates this undergraduate scholarship program, funded by the France-Merrick Foundation. For over 20 years, this scholarship remains available for students who demonstrate an exemplary commitment to service, leadership, and civic engagement on the UMBC campus and in the Greater Baltimore region. The France-Merrick Scholarship Program seeks to combine service and reflection, build relationships, and strengthen networks to affect meaningful change.
Fellows are awarded a scholarship that goes towards tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board expenses. This will not exceed $15,000 for Maryland students, $22,000 for out-of-state students. In 2015-16, Fellows will engage in service connected with Baltimore City; serve in leadership roles (which includes convening meetings for the France-Merrick Scholarship Program), support meaningful professional development, and serve as ambassadors of service at UMBC. For 2018-19, two Fellows will be selected.
Scholars are awarded a scholarship of up to $1,500. In 2015-16, Scholars will engage in service connected with Baltimore City, support meaningful professional development, participate in meetings, and serve as ambassadors of service at UMBC. For 2018-19, between five-seven Scholars will be selected.
Application Timeline for the 2018-19 cohort is:
- Friday, March 9th - the on-line application is LIVE!
- Monday, April 9th, 2018 at 5pm – The application will close.
- By Friday, April 13th, 2018 – Applicants will be notified of their status, some invited for interviews.
- Late April 2018 – Interviews by the Selection Committee will take place.
- Tuesday, May 15th, 2018 – Selected Scholars and Fellows will be announced.
For more info on the current cohort and to access the application link, please visit: