Skip to Main Content

Apply to Peaceworker

Peaceworker accepts applications on an annual basis for 6-8 fellowships which begin in late-July of each year. Separate admissions applications are required for each graduate degree program (please refer to the website of the graduate degree program of your choice for deadlines and admission requirements).  Acceptance into the Peaceworker Program is contingent upon admission to your selected graduate program at either UMBC or one of our Consortium partners. The availability of fellowships involving degrees at consortium schools changes from year to year. Please call us to confirm that your consortium program choice is available for the current year before applying. Specific questions about degree program requirements should be directed to the appropriate department.

The award of a Peaceworker fellowship is contingent upon acceptance into your graduate program. For this reason we strongly encourage you to apply to your graduate program at the same time as you’re applying for Peaceworker, even if that program has a later Spring application deadline.


Inclusive excellence is a hallmark of UMBC and a foundational value of our community. We take great pride in the diversity of experience, background, and thought represented by our campus community and the respectful ways in which our students, faculty, and staff engage the civic issues being debated in our country today. As a member of a Truth, Racial Healing, and Transformation Campus Center (TRHT), the Peaceworker Program is committed to breaking down racial hierarchies through the spirit of service and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates and from groups underrepresented in their areas of graduate study and professional interest.

Steps to Apply

Choose which graduate program you will apply for in conjunction with your Peaceworker application. While the GRE is not required for admission

While the GRE is not required for admissions to the Peaceworker Program, it may be required for admissions the degree programs.  Take the GRE, should your graduate program require it (please see your individual academic program of choice’s webpage to determine if you need to take the GRE). The GRE submission code for UMBC is 5835.

Complete the Peaceworker Online Application by January 11th, 2021. 

The following items are required uploads within the online application*:

  • A Peace Corps Description of Service (DOS), or a draft DOS if you are still in service
  • Academic transcripts (a .pdf of your unofficial transcript is fine)
  • A resume
  • A personal statement

Additionally, Two letters of recommendation are required as a part of the Shriver Peaceworker Fellowship Application:

  • One recommendation should come from a supervisor-level person from your Peace Corps Service (APCD, CD, PCVL where appropriate)
  • The second recommendation should come from someone who knows you in an academic or professional setting. 
Please do not request submission of any more than 2 letters of recommendation. If more than 2 are sent, only the first two will be included in your application. Share the prompt below with your recommenders and request that they submit a LOR on your behalf by January 6th: 
In your letter, please provide your reflections on the applicant’s ability to succeed in graduate school, their leadership potential, and your thoughts on their ability to critically self-reflect and engage in conversations about complex issues. Please send your letter of recommendation to by 11:59 pm on January 11th.
Your application will not be considered complete until we receive your letters, so please confirm with your recommenders that their letters have been emailed. 

Fill Out and Submit a FAFSA to UMBC

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA is a key component of your application to the Peaceworker Fellowship. It must be completed by early March, but and can be submitted as early as you like. The priority deadline to file your 2020-2021 FAFSA is February 14, 2021. Submit to UMBC using the school code 002105.  Also note that while Federal Work Study funds contribute to the funding of our program, you do not have to be work study eligible to receive the fellowship. If you are applying to a graduate program at a school other than UMBC, you should send your FAFSA to that institution.

Application Timeline

This year’s submission deadline is 11:59pm on January 11th.

If your application remains in consideration after the first round of reviews, you will be contacted via email for a video interview. These interviews are an opportunity to discuss your interests and fit with the program in more detail.

The Peaceworker program will announce admissions decisions before April 15th in most cases.